ICDM 2017 is able to offer travel grants to full-time students. The purpose of the student travel grants is to encourage graduate student participation at the conference by partially funding the costs of students who would otherwise be unable to attend.
Applications are accepted from full-time students at degree granting institutions. The maximum amount and type of support provided to each grantee are set by the committee, and it is intended to partially cover the grantee’s lodging and registration. Travel may or may not be partially covered depending on the total availability of funds and the number of awards given.
All full-time students are encouraged to apply. Other criteria will include evidence of a serious interest in data mining research, as demonstrated by coursework and project experience. ICDM encourages participation of women and under-represented minorities, as well as participation of students from under-represented institutions.
Information is provided below on eligibility and application requirements for these grants. The required documentation should be submitted as a single document at this link, no later than midnight US PST, October 24, 2017 in PDF format. Late submissions or documents in other formats will not be accepted.
What is covered?
The maximum amount of support provided to each grantee is set by the committee, and it is intended to partially cover the grantee’s lodging and registration. Travel may or may not be partially covered depending on the total availability of funds and the number of awards given.
How to apply
Students interested in apply for travel grants should submit an application (as one PDF file) that includes:
- A CV that indicates the institution where the individual is currently studying / working
- A letter from the applicant including:
- A brief statement of the applicant’s research interests, accomplishments, and future research plan
- A description of how the grant will help them with their research plans, and
- Any information that the student feels relevant for supporting their application, including title of the paper and names and affiliations of the co-authors if the student is an author
- A recommendation letter from the student’s advisor supporting the application. The letter should include:
- Confirmation that the applicant was a student in good standing at the time the paper was submitted to ICDM,
- A description of how the applicant will benefit from attending ICDM, and
- An explanation of why the student is in need of the travel grant
The documents should be merged and uploaded as a single PDF file. All applications using other formats will be rejected. Upload the document to the submission system. The Title of the application should be “ICDM 2017 travel grant application”.The deadline to submit the application is midnight US PST, October 31, 2017