SpaceX-3 launched April 18, 2014
after many launch attempts

[SpaceX-3] [Biotube Patch]


The Experiment was modified from the flight on STS-107. We used genetically better defined Brassica rapa seeds (10 per seed cassette), and included genetic analyses in the workflow. We used two fixatives - RNA-Later for gene regulation studies and formaldehyde for confocal microscopy. The intent to examine the effect of HGMF remained unchanged.

The modified objectives includes:

  • Determine the dynamic factor of the field when the root tips begin to curve to obtain an estimate of the force that plants can perceive.
  • Investigate the growth/curvature pattern as roots pass by the wedge.
  • Determine if amyloplasts are the gravisensing structures.
Similar to the original, the redesigned seed cassettes fit between two magnets and accommodated ten (rather than eight) seeds each. They were held together by a non-magnetic (nylon) screw.

The redisigned camera boad contained 16 individual cameras.
The locker was mounted into the Express Rack on the International Space Station.
The top view of the flight hardware with control unit after final assembly.

The KSC support team - without them nothing would have been possible.

The most important thing: - The experiment worked!! The results are still being evaluated - check back for updates!